Leprosy persistence in the health district of Kenieba despite its elimination as a public health problem at the national level in Mali
Ilo Dicko*, Yaya Ibrahim Coulibaly, Modibo Keita, Housseini Dolo, Modibo Sangaré, Abdoulaye Fomba, Mamoudou Kodio, Nouhou Diarra, Mamadou Sidibé, Oumar Maiga, Moussa Brema Sangaré, Siaka Yamoussa Coulibaly, Michel Emmanuel Coulibaly, Mamadou Dolo, Sory Ibrahima Fomba, Abdallah Amadou Diallo, Floribert Fossuo Thotchum, Ousmane Faye and Samba Ousmane Sow
Published: 21 February, 2021 | Volume 3 - Issue 1 | Pages: 001-005
WHO defined leprosy elimination as reaching a prevalence < 1 case of leprosy per 10,000 inhabitants. Mali eliminated the disease since 2001 but in 2011, it recorded 226 new cases. This has a serious involvement in term of disease spreading. Therefore, we undertook a cross sectional study in Kenieba health district, still above the WHO recommended elimination threshold to better understand the disease epidemiology and its associated potential factors. The study took place from October 2013 to September 2014. All consenting villagers, living in one of the selected villages were included and clinically examined for leprosy signs.
Read Full Article HTML
Cite this Article
Read Full Article PDF
Leprosy; New cases; Active detection; Relative risk; Kenieba; Mali
- World Health Organization (WHO). Working to overcome the global impact of neglected tropical diseases. Geneva: World Health Organization. 2010.
- Hotez PJ, Molyneux DH, Fenwick A, Kumaresan J, Sachs SE, et al. Control of neglected tropical diseases. N Engl J Med. 2007; 357: 1018–1027. PubMed: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17804846
- Monot M, Honoré N, Garnier T, Araoz R, Coppée JY, et al. On the origin of leprosy. Science. 2005; 308: 1040-1042. PubMed: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15894530
- Murto C, Chammartin F, Schwarz K, da Costa LM, Kaplan C, et al. Patterns of migration and risks associated with leprosy among migrants in Maranhão, Brazil. PLoS Negl Trop Dis. 2013; 7: e2422. PubMed: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24040433
- Martinez TS, Figueira MM, Costa AV, Gonc¸alves MA, Goulart LR, et al. Oral mucosa as a source of Mycobacterium leprae infection and transmission, and implications of bacterial DNA detection and the immunological status. Clin Microbiol Infect. 2011; 11: 1653–1658. PubMed: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21199152
- Weekly epidemiological record (WER). 30 August 2019, 94th year. Nos. 35/36. 2019; 94: 389–412.
- Weekly epidemiological record (WER). 5 September 2014, 89th year. No. 36. 2014; 89: 389–400.
- Jed A. Diner. Geology and Exploration Potential, Sanoukou Claim. 2010; 6.
- Direction nationale de la santé du Mali. Annuaire système local d’information sanitaire (SLIS) 2013. 2014.
- Balique H. L'expérience Malienne de Gestion des Ressources Humaines dans le secteur de la santé et ses perspectives. Rapport. 2004-2010.
- Dogba M, Fournier P, Berthe-Cisse S. Qualification of staff, organization of services, and management of pregnant women in rural settings: the case of Diema and Kayes districts (Mali). ISRN Obstet Gynecol. 2012; 2012: 649412. PubMed: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22619728
- Pattyn SR. Minimal requirements for the laboratory diagnosis of leprosy in field conditions. Acta Leprol. 1983; 1: 33–40. PubMed: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/6401139
- Singal A, Sonthalia S. Leprosy in post-elimination era in India: difficult journey ahead. Indian J Dermatol. 2013; 58: 443-446. PubMed: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24249895
- Smith WC, Aerts A. Role of contact tracing and prevention strategies in the interruption of leprosy transmission. Lepr Rev. 2014; 85: 2-17. PubMed: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24974438
- Appelboom T, Cogan E, Klastersky J. Job of the Bible: leprosy or scabies? Mt Sinai J Med. 2007; 74: 36-39. PubMed: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17516561
- Walton SF, Currie BJ. Problems in Diagnosing Scabies, a Global Disease in Human and Animal Populations. Clin Microbiol Rev. 2007; 20: 268-279. PubMed: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17428886
- Grewal I, Negi Y, Kishore J, Adhish SV. Knowledge and attitude about leprosy in Delhi in post elimination phase. Indian J Lepr. 2013; 85: 123-127. PubMed: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24724234
- Faye O, Hay RJ, Ryan TJ, Keita S, Traoré AK, et al. A public health approach for leprosy detection based on a very short term-training of primary health care workers in basic dermatology. Lepr Rev. 2007; 78: 11-16. PubMed: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17518081
- Freitas LR, Duarte EC, Garcia LP. Leprosy in Brazil and its association with characteristics of municipalities: ecological study, 2009-2011. Trop Med Int Health. 2014; 19: 1216-1225. PubMed: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25040160
- Entezarmahdi R, Majdzadeh R, Foroushani AR, Nasehi M, Lameei A, et al. Inequality of leprosy disability in iran, clinical or socio-economic inequality: an extended concentration index decomposition approach. Int J Prev Med. 2014; 5: 414-423. PubMed: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24829728